How to Extinguish a Grease Fire
Grease fires can be very difficult to extinguish. It is always a good idea to be prepared ahead of time. If you have a small grease fire in a pan at home the best thing you can do is smother the fire.
If you do not get the fire out in time you may end up with fire or smoke damage and end up needing our fire damage restoration service.
Here are a few tips for dealing with a small grease fire:
(Please note, every situation is different, and safety must come first. Do NOT hang around near a grease fire, you could get burned or killed. This is by no means an instruction manual, just a few tips).
- DO NOT USE WATER.
- A second pan, a lid, or a cookie sheet placed on top of the pan on fire will extinguish a grease fire.
- Turn of the burner. If the fire is contained inside the pan and you are confident you can reach the knobs without getting burned, turn the burner off. This is sometimes enough to put the fire out.
- Do not carry the grease around with you or attempt to carry it around the house or outdoors. This is just an accident waiting to happen.
- Call 911. Fires spread rapidly. If the fire is beyond the pan or you can not turn the burner off, call 911 immediately.